Here are some really interesting facts about cats that you may, or may not have known! Some of these are fascinating and I’m confident that even the biggest cat lover doesn’t know them allJ Enjoy and have a great Wednesday!
- Owning a cat can cut your risk of having a heart attack and stroke by a third.
- Tabbies and Tigers centre point of their tongue contains backward-pointing spines that allow them to grip and tear meat.
- Stubbs the cat has been the mayor of a town in Alaska for fifteen years!
- Cats have over twenty muscles that control their ears.
- Cats cannot taste sweetness because of a mutation in their taste receptors.
- A cat’s brain is biologically more similar to a human brain than it is to a dog’s. Both humans and cats have identical regions in their brains that are responsible for emotions.
- Some Siamese cats appear cross-eyed because the nerves from the left side of the brain go to mostly the right eye and the nerves from the right side of the brain go mostly to the left eye. This causes some double vision, which the cat tries to correct by “crossing” its eyes.
- In the original Italian version of Cinderella, the fairy godmother was a cat.
- The ability of a cat to find its way home is called “psi-traveling.” Experts think cats either use the angle of the sunlight to find their way or that cats have magnetized cells in their brains that act as compasses.
- All cats have claws, and all except the cheetah sheath them when at rest.
- Female cats tend to be right pawed, while male cats are more often left pawed. Interestingly, while 90% of humans are right-handed, the remaining 10% of lefties also tend to be male.