Sometimes in a cat’s life they will be required to take medication in pill form. Sometimes cats will happily take medications…most of the time, they think you’re trying to poison them. Administering pills requires patience and determination, and these two things are so important when we need our pets to take medication.
- Wrap your cat in a towel and sit on the floor with the cat between your legs.
- Place your dominant hand around kitty’s head so that your fingers are under their cheekbone.
- Tip the cat’s head back and their lower jaw should open.
- Using your middle finger, ease their jaw down and place the pill near the back of their tongue.
- Release your pet’s head and stroke their throat to encourage swallowing. This is important because they often will just spit the pill out.
- Stroke your cat and reward them with extra love and cuddles.
Follow these steps for success and kitty will be back to health in no time!